How to be Friends with Strangers on Social Media
Do you ever feel alone? Feel like no one can relate to what you are going through right now?
I’m here to say, you are not alone.
From time to time we all struggle.
I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have my shit together. It may seem like it. It may seem like I’m super busy and making bank with my gigs, but the reality is: my husband and I share a car, we just bought a house, we’re dealing with health issues with crappy insurance, we’re paying off credit card debt, and attempting to pay off $60K in student loans both on unstable self-employed incomes.
Social Media is a cheap way for us to mask our lives. It’s easy to show the great times and easy to hide the rough moments. It’s easier to share how badass my living room looks compared to me crying when I’m in so much pain I can’t climb out of bed to work when we have bills that we need to pay.
Social Media also gives us the incredible opportunity to connect & reach out to thousands of people around the world. People who could make a difference in our lives for the better. And in some cases, yes, people who may try to scam us or take advantage of us. I try my best to make the most out of Social Media in encouraging & inspiring ways while reporting the bad 😉
I realized what I needed to keep myself on track with my business goals, dreams, desires, and vision was to network.
However, without having a vehicle, it’s actually hard to do that. So I turned to Facebook in hopes I could find what I need, and I did.
Facebook Groups are a free & easy way to connect with strangers across the world, which yes can be scary, but in the right groups you will find the neatest people! I now have friends all over the world with different careers who send me referrals every so often because we connected in a FB group for entrepreneurs. How cool is that?!
All you have to do is login to Facebook, go to the search bar, and type in something you’re interested in. It’s guaranteed there’s probably a group for it!
Now for the important part – How to be Friends with Strangers in Facebook Groups
1. Review Old Posts – See if any can help you, but see how you can also add value to the conversation
2. Don’t be afraid to Introduce yourself – Some groups may have restrictions on this so read the guidelines before you enter, but introducing yourself is a great simple way to start connecting with others
3. Interact Often – Make yourself known in the group. Interact with posts. Make new friends!
4. Ask Questions – Easy enough. Be honest & post questions and stir up some conversation!
5. Friend Request those you get along with or have similar interests to – Now I know some people will argue with me and say “But why would you want to be friends with your competition!” and yes, in some cases I totally get you wouldn’t want to do that, but speaking on behalf of creatives, I’ve gained MORE referrals from other people in my industry than I could have done advertising solely by myself. Community > Competition People ! It works!
6. Don’t start off any online friendship with a sales pitch – Oh my Lord. I can’t even begin to tell you how often this still happens to me and how quickly I call it out. There’s nothing worse then starting a potential online friendship with “Hey, want to lose weight or learn how to eat healthy? Buy this shake!” That’s an immediate turn-off for me and I’ll more than likely unfriend you after that no matter how much you believe in the product. Don’t ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, friend request people in hopes of a sale. I don’t know why these MLM’s teach this but it’s a horrible marketing method.